Monday, November 6, 2017

If I Could Change Your Mind, Part 1, 2021

Havar, fall, 2021
Verde is 34, Lainey is 34, Esperanza is 9, Carmela is 61


Optional Soundtrack: HAIM-If I Could Change Your Mind


narrated by Esperanza





Mami is dating some guy and she insists on introducing him to me. I'm nine so I know what that means. It means she wants to marry him.




So I ask. There's no point in keeping secrets.




Mami says that yes, she loves him and would like to marry him.




However, Mami is willing not to marry this guy is I don't like him.




Now I can't help but feel guilty. I want mami to be happy. It's not that I don't want her to get remarried one day...but...things will change. I don't like change. 




I hated it when mami and papi divorced. But now it's ok. We all live near each other and I can walk between my two houses anytime. 




Mami wants us to all meet for Harvest Day at some fancy place so I can meet this guy.




I'm a little bummed out, but I don't show it. Usually mami and papi and abuela and I all get together for Harvest Day, even though mami and papi are supposed to take turns. I guess I'll have to get used to that now.




I tell mami that I'll be ready for Harvest Day and give her a big hug. She seems relieved. 




Whoever this mystery guy is, I like him a little bit. He makes mami smile from her eyes and she seems more calm now. 




I try to remind myself of this as I wait in my stiff dress on Harvest Day. 




When she walks through the door, my heart freezes. Now I can't help but wonder if I could change mami's mind. If we could just go home with Bear and have everything stay the same.

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, who's the mystery man? No matter how nice he is, this will be rough on Esperanza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really keeping the suspense up here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I'm eager to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, don't stop there! :)

    Looking forward to finding out the identity of the mystery man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, to be asked about marrying her Mom, and not even know the guy! Eek! I'm curious who it is too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails